Lets focus on ME

Friday, November 17, 2006

Ten Dollar Massage in Roatan

That's in US dollars.

I'm walking on the beach, feet in the sand, water splashing up my legs, when a big black Caribbean women comes up to me and asks me if I want a massage.

"No" I say..........even though I wanted one, but wasn't quite sure how much it would cost me (even though it's low season and not a lot of tourists around).

"Oh... come on now.... baby girl needs a massage. $20 for one full hour. Me and my daughter. Feels so good."

"I don't really have $20 US to spend today....thanks anyways" is my reply.

"I tink you really want a massage....how does $10 sound?"

"Sounds great..........let's go".

This is how I got myself on a table, in one of those wooden type gazebo's.........kind of private but not.

I'm wearing a tankini...which was a good thing.....as before you know it, about 5 other people are in the gazebo having a conversation with the mother and daughter about all the other islanders.

Actually, I would call it gossip.

I could not believe what they were saying. It was so funny!

Who got pregnant by whom, why so and so is sleeping around, what the new girl did with her baby, who robbed who......and on and on. One full hour.

Not a very relaxing massage when one is used to calm music playing in the background. Even the ocean waves could not override the loud caribbeans talking!

As I was getting off the table, laughing, the two rasta guys asked me if I understood all their "island talk".......I said some.

They then asked me if I wanted to go swim with the dolphins or go fishing.

Surprise surprise.

Everyone is always trying to sell me something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home