Lets focus on ME

Friday, November 03, 2006

I Survived Inflatable Whitewater Kayaking

When I first signed up for this $50.00 USD activity, I thought I was going on an inflatable whitewater rafting tour. Rated at a 2-3 level (4 being crazy and 5 being you will die). Pick up at 8 am, return around 12:30 pm. Fruit to be served mid way and lunch at the end.

What I did end up getting to what I thought I was going to get... was.... the pick up, drop off and food.

Here I am (thinking I would not get too wet)... I wear a t-shirt over my bathing suit, pajama boxer shorts, a baseball cap, some sun tan lotion, my contacts with sunglasses, and my red croc sandals. I wasn't looking too pretty for this RAFTING tour.

Next thing you know, the two guides, Jario (21) and Tom (20), decide that it´s best to use the KAYAKS!

Here I am, PETRIFIED of the water to begin with and they decide I need to be in one of those crazy and very flipable coffins! I start to shake.

Tracy, the other girl on the tour that was doing the same thing, tells me not to be scared, everything will be alright..........meanwhile, the two guides are telling me that I can't wear my sunglasses or my croc sandals in the kayak, as I would lose them when I fall out.

WHAT? No one said anything about FALLING OUT. Are you NUTS? "I´m NOT going" is what I tell or should I say YELL to the two KIDS that are responsible for my life at this point.

Jario giggles and tells me to relax, it will be fun. No need to worry, I will have a life jacket on as well as a helmet. He also tells me that he would come in and get me right away WHEN I fall in.

"Nope" I say, "I´m not going in".

Well, after some more joking around, Jario sees that I might not be kidding, so he then tells me that he will make sure that I won´t fall in......not 100%...but he would do everything he could.

He could see that SAFETY would supersede FUN on this trip for him.

At this point, I can see that I´m holding up poor Tracy, so I reluctantly agree to go.

I tell them I would go...but I wanted to wear my sunglasses AND my crocs. Tom then gets me those sunglass holder things you wear around your neck to ensure I would not lose them. GREAT I´m thinking. Why would I need those if I am not going to fall in?

I´m scared. Really Scared.

Tracy heads off first with Tom.

I´m still taking deep long breaths to get myself ready, realizing at that point that I would have to go down this small steep hill then climb around some rocks to get into the kayak.

Crocs are slippery when wet. Luckily I did not fall.

The minute Jario paddles us off, we hit level 2-3 rapids, no slowing into it. OH MY GOD! I was totally unprepared for it. It was so insane. I was covered in water over and over and I swallowed so much of it I was gagging. It was a miracle I did not fall in. I was shaking all over. Luckily I did not cry.

After this maybe 2 minutes of hell, it was flat water and laughing Jario asks me if I like it so far. I yell NO........I don´t think I want to continue. Meanwhile, we notice that Tom and Tracy are stopped and Tracy yells that she fell down the hill getting into the kayak and then FELL out of the kayak as soon as they paddled off due to all the rapids.

Good thing I did not see this, as I know I would not of continued.

I could describe this kayaking in detail..........all 2 hours of it.......... but let´s just say it was insane and I can see why some of you are adrenaline junkies.........I am NOT!

Especially in one part when the expert Jario even yells "Oh my god" on one of the large WAVES that hit me.

An angel was looking over me today that's for sure.

I didn´t fall in.

And maybe it was fun at some points when I was not terrified to death.

We even tipped Jario, Tom and the driver 7 Colones (almost $15 USD) for bringing us home in one piece.

I´m such a baby.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are not a baby..you are very adventurous and courageous...not something I would do, no matter what....keep enjoying and trying new things

1:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go girl,
Glad to hear that you came back in one place. Keep having fun

4:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have not laughed so hard in such a long time Is!! I am happy that you really went outside your comfort zone! Cannot wait to see you. I will be in Edmonton at the end of JAnuary 07 for my dad's 80th Birthday. he does not know I am going up there. Looking forward to more of your adventures signoritta! Carmen

4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home