Lets focus on ME

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Mi Sabado

I walked over to Cafe 2000 to see what 4 pm movie was playing. Mr & Mrs Smith. Yippee. I like that movie. The movie didn't start until 4:30 pm (Guatemalan time- nothing is ever on time). It wasn't too bad a copy (all movies are pirated in these places). It only broke down 2 times. On the third time, they stopped the film and told everyone to wait 10 minutes as one of the staff was running over to the Market to get another copy. I left, as I knew this 10 minutes would turn into an hour. Good thing I've seen this movie several times already.

I was so full from breakfast & lunch, that I skipped dinner at home and went over to the Danish place to see who was there. I got there around 6 pm and stayed until almost midnight.

Met a pile more people- all very interesting.

Christopher from Switzerland. Been here for 3 years. In the travel industry- extreme adventures. Very cool guy- he has lived in quite a few places around the the world already, and I put him at about 28 years old.

David from Belgium. He's been here for 7 years. Very thin guy, super long straight hair- a very deceiving look to how smart this guy is. He teaches math and physics at a college here in Antigua. An awesome chess player and great to talk to as he knows so much about everything.

Soren (the drunk one from the other night) was also there with his ex Guatemalan girlfriend- Maria. Very strange as she was trying to make him jealous by trying to pick up Simon who is from Norway. I figure Simon to be 22 years old. I think Maria is 20 if that. Simon has to be early 30's.

The other Soren (this is a common name in Denmark) and I were trying to figure it all out. We made a bet on what the outcome would be. A bottle of wine. This Soren is a super great guy. He has been here for 5 months working as a food scientist (something about ketchup with papaya's no tomatoes). He is married and has 2 kids back home. They were here for 10 weeks about 1 month ago. He is taking his family to India for 3 months backpacking next year when he gets home. We were catching each other up on entertainment "gossip" as he called it. He even commented that "I am very sharp tonight" (meaning him).

Martin & Lyna were also there. Martin mentioned that they might go overnight to Volcano Pacaya and they will keep me posted. I guess you hike up there, camp and then hike back the next day. I'm not sure if they will be doing this while I am still here, but I think it would be a great experience, and I will go if asked. Actually, I might look into this on my own in the next day or two.

Jesper (the Danish owner) joined our table in the latter part of the evening. He is also a very cool guy. Married to a Guatemalan girl. 2 kids. One of them is named Isabelle.

It was a huge crowd and a lot of fun.

Sebastian the Peruvian living here, came in about 30 minutes before I left. He has been laying low this week. This is Karen's boy toy here in Antigua.......and she is in Lanquin this weekend with her other Guatemalan boy.

Crazy how we are supposed to speak Spanish, yet we all speak English- the common language in the world!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

what an awesome experience you are having Isabella! It sounds like the people - both locals and others - is what really makes your trip memorable. Keep living in each moment!

11:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Isabel, one year while in France I stayed with friends of a friend and the one guy from Denmark was named Soren. Nice guy as I remember. Anyways, it sounds like you are meeting all kinds of interesting people. Are you the only Canadian so far in Antigua??
Heather

2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home