Lets focus on ME

Friday, October 06, 2006

8:30 AM Meeting

This morning Rina brought me to her staff meeting at the place I'm volunteering at. Yup, me and about 20 staff of social workers and teachers. She forgot that there was no class today for me to help out with, so she asked if I wanted to go with her. I figured why not.

The meeting was run by one of the top Managers. Instructions on what to do when the President of the Organization comes next week. Step by step of what everyone had to do. Rina introduced me after the meeting, and this Manager then added my add to the instructions. Not sure what it means- maybe I just get a pass for that day? I'll have to ask Rina in English next week. Oh......the meeting started with a prayer. This country is very religious.

I then went and helped out with the distribution of the vegetables to all the waiting ladies. The ladies were in line with their plastic ripped up bags, waiting for us to fill them. Very thin, over used plastic bags.

Can you imagine? It was very emotional to see.

How did we ever win the lottery on where we were born?

It could easily have been anyone of us in that line.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Always a perspective changing experience to see how other people and cultures value things differently than the common North American. Everyone has to search these things out on their own and make their own decisions. Hope you are still looking, and more importantly, finding your way....

12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Isabel .. how true is your comment. I often wonder that exact same question and must say travelling puts a total different perspective on things. If only everyone could travel and experience what you are.
Heather

2:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home