Lets focus on ME

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Broken Keys

As I was getting ready tonight to meet up with Alice and Mark, my key broke in the door to get out of my hotel room.

My room is one of those that locks from the inside and you just leave the key hanging in there. To get out, you simply unlock the door.

Too bad the key split in the middle and broke while I was trying to do this.

I,m thinking....no problemo....just call the front desk.

No chance of that happening. The phone did not dial out on 0. I even tried calling different room numbers. No luck.

Panic set in.

I banged on the door to see if anyone walking down the hall would hear me.

Nope.

I then open my window and look to the next building to see if I can catch someones attention.

Nope.

I do finally see someone from the kitchen area and I yell out ....help....ayuda......

He looks at me and has no clue what I am saying. I then start waving him over (I,m in room 103...floor on top of main floor). I start mimicking broken key and door. How I did that I do not know, but he got the message. He starts laughing and then I hear him talking to someone else.

One of the hotel guys come to my door and then seeing the problem I have, he goes to the outside area and asks me to throw him the key. At this point I know that they do not believe me and that they think I just can,t open the door. Dumb Canadian tourist.

Glad to say that once they saw the broken key the laughter stopped.

I was saved about 20 minutes after my initial trying to get of the room.

Everyone that works front desk and the kitchen now knows me.

I have also now learned how to use the phone. Dial 9. You either use the * or # beforehand. I still don,t understand that part.

Pronunciation is so important when trying to speak another language.

The Portuguese word for help is Ajuda.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If it isn't a TV at t ahotel in Guatemala, then it must be this!

8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home