Lets focus on ME

Saturday, September 30, 2006

Travel Menu

That's the place I went to last night for a few hours. Home by midnight. Via a tuk tuk. You don't walk on your own here at night. It's a really small cool place. 5 small tables. No lightbulbs used to light the place-just candles. You could probably fit about 30 people tightly in there- standing. The music was varied, but mostly Radiohead typish. You could tell that the candles were just relit on top of the previous melted candles, so the candle holder had a lot of different colors of melted wax. A Danish guy owns it. Very cool look.

I went there with Karen, the other student staying at the home I'm at. I met her at dinner at the house. She is probably early 20's, been here for 4 weeks already and will be here for another 6 weeks or so then off to Mexico to meet up with a friend. She just graduated as a teacher in Denmark, but she's not sure this is what she wants to do in her life, so she is just travelling. Her spanish is pretty good. She took 2 weeks at the school I will be starting with, and she has been volunteering full days at a school in Guatemala City. She buses in each day on one of the "chicken buses". Those colorful local buses with names like "Esmerelda", "MariaTeresa" etc., They look like so much fun........BUT......we were warned not to ride them as they are often very full and the drivers dart in and out of traffic, thus the name "chicken buses". The ride takes 1.5 hrs each way due to all the insane traffic here. It's pretty crazy what that school is like. Inner city. Loads of garbage. Lots of rats. They are trying to teach the small children manners more than anything. Washing their hands before meals. Brushing their teeth. They are all around 5 to 6 years old. They actually bathe them once a week and powder them down to prevent lice.

This school was an option for me to volunteer, but I think I will just take a "tour" and volunteer at another school closer to where I am staying. I'm going for an interview this Monday to get the details.

I'm laying low this Saturday. I've got a bit of a cold. After hanging out with over 20 people with all sorts of ailments, I now have the after effects.

I'll wonder the Saturday market madness, and then go have a nice hot tea at one of the cool coffee shops in one of the courtyards.

I love my life!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home