Lets focus on ME

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Extremes

This morning we went for a walking tour of Antigua. This town is centered around a Central Park. Cobblestone roads. Volcano on one side....can't remember if it's North or South...and for those of you that know how great I am with directions.....will have to learn this soon, so I can get around without continually asking for directions!

The blocks are similar to ours, so picture a wall around your block- all sorts of colors, windows here and there, doors, and a few plants. No taller than about 2 stories. This is what it looks like when you walk the narrow streets. WELL........what a surprise when you look inside the doors, it's unbeliveable! Courtyards with beautiful gardens, little stores, craft shops, you name it. You would never guess what is in there unless you actually go in (as there isn't alot of signage around here).

Very misleading on the outside! I love this place. So many things to explore!!

We are leaving in about 15 minutes to go to Guatemala City. We stay the night and then fly to Tikal for 2 days. It's going to be a busy. The group leaves Friday.

I will make my way back to Antigua and check into my "room". I'm staying with a Guatemalan family. $10.00 US a day. My own room, shared bathroom and they feed me 3 times a day. I will have to speak Spanish. Can't learn unless you do!

Spanish classes will be from 8 to noon (Mon to Fri), and I will be doing some other volunteer work in the afternoon. I'm checking out one place on Monday to see if the right fit.

Hasta Leugo!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home