Lets focus on ME

Friday, April 04, 2008

Rock Star Status

I've become a little celebrity in the neighbourhood I walk in when going to work.

I take the bus to work and once I get to my stop...which is really just on the side of the road where you need to stop at......I have to cross this super busy street.

As mentioned previously....I'm super scared to cross the street. I usually take some locals arm and cross with them. Sometimes this is not possible. I have to cross on my own.

The first few times I did this, the street ladies that sit on the side of the road selling grass for the first God's offering of food to the cows, just laughed at me. Now they clap when I make it across the street.

I then have a good 10 minute walk on crooked pavement type streets to get to my location. This street goes through a small little neighbourhood.

I pass tied up cows and goats.

I pass dogs.

I pass people brushing their teeth on the street.

I pass little kids screaming and running around with no clothes on.

I pass people just sitting around having chai.

I pass store owners hanging around.

I pass a school for kids.

It's a very busy little area.

Everyone stops what they are doing and looks at me when I walk by. Everyone. Even the animals.

All the little kids scream 'HELLO' 'WHAT IS YOUR NAME?' as I walk by. Everyday. Two times a day. It's all they know how to say. I answer all the time. They also come by to shake my hand.

The older people just stare. They only smile if I'm smiling and say 'namaste' to them. They smile back and respond.

It's pretty cool walking in my oh so not Mr Rogers neighbourhood.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home