Lets focus on ME

Friday, January 04, 2008

Elephants and Me

I didn't know that I liked elephants.

I've seen them before...even been on a few elephant rides.....but I've never spent any time with them like I did at this elephant camp we went to the other day.

This camp takes care of elephants and gets income from us tourists visiting the camp. The tourists pay for elephant rides, taking pictures with them, watching the show and also buying their promo stuff.

When you first get there, you get to see the elephants taking a bath in the river. This was pretty cool as some of them were very funny just playing and splashing around.

You then go see the elephant show...they play soccer, paint, roll logs, play instruments and just make you laugh.

After this you can walk around the camp and just see the different things they are up to.

We spent some time getting photos with 2 elephants and then we went to see one elephant and their bad baby who was chained up when the tourists are there. We also saw one elephant who is ready to deliver her baby in 2 weeks (they are pregnant for 22 months....eeks!).

I never thought I really liked elephants....but they sure are cool animals now that I've seen them in their own environment.

They get to go in the jungle overnight with the elephant boys making sure they get back to camp during the day.

I was so impressed that I even bought a painting from one of the elephants. 1,000 Baht ($35.00).

It's a beautiful painting of 2 flowers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home