Lets focus on ME

Friday, December 28, 2007

Yes I Speak English

Alot of the Thai people are pretty funny.

They say they speak english....but they really don't.

Just one of my many many examples:

Last night while I was walking down this narrow street from one hotel to another, I heard numerous dogs barking. This scares me and seeing as I have not had a rabies shot...I decide to ask this one Thai guy standing around if the dogs are dangerous in Bangkok.

I first approached him to ask if he speaks english. Yes he says...with confidence.

Great I'm thinking.

I then proceed to ask if it is safe to walk down the street with all these dogs barking. Will they bite?

He looks at me and smiles (they all smile here).

Gathering that he did not understand one single word I say, I change my approach and then just say a few words. Me. Safe. Walk. Dogs. No. Bite.

He again looks at me and smiles.

I then add some action to my words. Me (pointing). Walk (my feet moving...while I stand still...I also use 2 fingers showing them walking). Dogs (I bark...YES...I really bark). Bite (I move my mouth in biting action...oh...I also start pitching him).

He looks in shock at this point. Still smiles though.

I'm laughing by now wondering how I am going to communicate with him.

I start with the word 'dog'. I say it a few times. He repeats but does not understand a thing. I then SEE a dog sleeping at the building next door. I take his arm and walk with him a bit....point to the dog and say dog a few times. He repeats and smacks his head as if he should of known this word. Great....we are making progress!

I then go shhhhh.....listen to the dogs (as they are barking all around us)....I then start trying to bark again. He still thinks I'm crazy. I yell....DOG....BARK...BITE. Taking his arm and pretending to bite.

He laughs and FINALLY gets what I am trying to say.

He then says...no.... safe...you walk.

I rock as an english as a second language teacher!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home