Lets focus on ME

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Peer Pressure & Me


If a group of people are doing something that I'm invited to participate in, I usually say yes....especially if it involves doing something off the wall.

One of the reasons I do is because I do not want to feel left out. Mainly....I don`t want to miss out on the fun!

I just got back from a trek up VillarricaVolcano here in Pucon. What was I thinking? I thought I would never do this again. Ever. 20 of us went. Only 1 turned back. Cost of the tour was 40,000 peso´s ($80 USD) and $3,500 pesos for park entrance.

The hike up takes around 4 to 5 hours. Half the time on rocks, gravel and the other half on snow/ice. It takes 2 hours to come down, due to it being very steep. We walk up about 1,500 meters... after our drop off point that is mid way up the volcano. 5 Kms to walk up in 5 hours. Walking 5 kms usually takes just one hour.

You get outfitted with hiking boots (for ankle support), crampons, gators (these cover your pants from the knees down to protect against rocks etc.,), ice pick, helmet, wind pants, gloves & a snow hat. I´m getting scared at this point.

We left this morning at 4:30 am...started the climb up at 5:30 am, and I walked back in to the Hostel at 3:30 pm. I was in the slow group. 5.5 hours to walk up. 3 hours to walk down.

Hector, one of the guides held my hand most of the way down. I tipped him 10,000 peso´s ($20.00 USD). My life is worth it.

I can go up okay but coming down scares me and I am extremely slow.

The views from the volcano were amazing! Very worth the torture.

I am very sore right now and am waiting for my booked massage. After this our barbeque and then the Los Pozones Hot Springs.

Life is tough.

And on peer pressure....good thing the group does not do crack cocaine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home