Lets focus on ME

Sunday, November 05, 2006

Zipping Over The Cloud Forest

I surprized myself today.....by actually having fun at the Sky Trek!

I signed up for this activity under a bit of pressure from the group. It was only $42.00 USD and you get 2 hours of zip lining across the cloud forest, 1.5 hours of climbing suspension bridges and visiting the serpentarium at night.

10 of us in the group did this very cool "adventure"...one of the girls did pay for it, but freaked out after seeing it once we climbed the very tall spiral tower so she did not go.

I was very shaky starting the night before, as it was very very windy all night and the morning started out just as windy.

Everyone was convinced that they would not let us do this if it was unsafe, so off we go on the 7:15 am shuttle.

Once we were geared up with helmets, gloves and harnesses, we climbed up a spiral tower and had a lesson on how to sit, slow down and how to get going if you are stuck in the middle of the cable.

I'm still shaky....but it's a good feeling. I was scared but not terrified like being in the water. I'm thinking I can't drown here....so....what could actually go wrong? Not much that you would know, seeing as you would be dead if something did happen that high up.

I LOVED it!

www.skytrek.com

Fly over the cloud forest canopy … SkyTrek

The Sky Trek is a system of cables or zip lines, it allows you to observe the rain forest and its landscape from many different views while offering you, total security of its modern technology, which offers a panoramic view of the Arenal lake and volcano.

All of the platform anchors are concrete and supported by iron beams. The suspension bridges support four (4) time the floor weight. The suspension bridge cables are 1” steel and support 49 tons.

The zip line cables are 5/8 steel and support 17 tons. The Sky Trek pulleys were specially designed in hardened steel with two handles. They support 5.000 kilograms.

We have 11 cables with lengths between 120 feet up 2310 feet and 60 feet height up to 480 feet. It is comprised of several walking trails through the forest. This is a tour through a system of zip line cables in the cloud forest canopy.

I'm so happy I did this.

I would definitely do this again!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lucky you! This is on my top 100 list of things to do! Some day....

5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home