Lets focus on ME

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Verdura Donacions

Yesterday.... Library ....

Today...... driving around Guatemala in a pick up truck with Diego and Alvaro. What a fun morning! Rina, the volunteer coordinator, was walking me to the class that I would be spending the morning in, when Diego came by asking her for a volunteer. I said sure. Not knowing what this entailed, but it looked like fun.

I get into a pick up truck with Diego Raymundo de Leon and Alvaro, and head out of town via the beautiful scenary of the countryside. Rolling hills, mountains, cornfields, and little towns.... surrounded by different shades of green. Beautiful. I wasn´t scared...but I was kind of wondering where we were going.

I find out we are going to pick up all the vegetable donations. Thursday is pick up day. I know that in one of the towns we went to, Chimaltenango, the huge produce place (with security and guns everywhere) , export a lot of their stuff to the USA. We stopped at 4 different places in the morning. The back of the pick up and the back seat was full of freash carrots, brocolli, squash, fava beans, onions, green beans, beats, lettuce, cabbage and frozen brocolli.

My role in all this was to help unload the vegetables from the suppliers crates into our own crates and put them in the truck. I also helped unload the truck once we got back to the Nuestros building.

Diego and Alvaro were hilarious!

My dictionary really helped......I just needed my camera! I must remember to put it in my purse for these unexpected moments.

I am so flexible and will help anywhere.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hola Isabela .. that sounds like a great day .. maybe with all the new fresh produce you will be able to cook up a Thanksgiving feast to share with everyone!! Yeah, yeah, I know - you don't cook -- but, who would have thought you to be in the environment you now are!! Good job mi amiga!!

Heather

2:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You forgot to mention if your co-volunteers were GUAPO.....?

8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home