Lets focus on ME

Saturday, March 01, 2008

Big City Day

I spent a few days in Mumbai with Jo in a pretty pricey hotel.

The room was nothing exciting...but the service sure was!

We spent the first night walking over to the India Gate...which was just down the road from our hotel. From there we took a 30 minute boat harbour cruise for 50 rupees.

All the folks on the boat were Indian tourists....no Westerners.

The first thing I noticed was the boat had no life jackets.. ...and for whatever reason this didn't bother me as much as it would of when I first got to India.

What is happening to me????????

Dinner was at Leopold's Cafe...made famous by the Shantaram book I'm in the process of reading. We also made a pit stop at McDonald's for me. No Big Mac...but I had my fries fix!

The next day was packed full with sightseeing......all by walking or taking the train. Jo was our navigator.
  • Chowpatty Beach area...where I stopped at a REAL Levi's store and purchased a t-shirt.
  • Crawfoot Market...where I was able to purchase my PEAS once again!
  • Mahalaxmi Dhobi Ghat...Mumbai's municipal laundry where 5,000 men use rows of open-air troughs to beat the dirt out of the thousands of kilograms of soiled clothes brought from all over the city each day.
  • National Gallery of Modern Art....closed for exhibition change.
  • Taj Mahal Hotel....just down the road from us. High tea was 750 rupees...plus tax and tip....eeks! I decided to pass on this.
  • Mani Bhavan Gandi Museum......I bought his autobiography book there.

When we got back to our hotel, we had a note from Leland and Jim to meet them for dinner.

Wow! We know some people in the big city........

After dinner, Jo and I went to see a movie.

A great full day in Mumbai!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home