Lets focus on ME

Saturday, April 26, 2008

Indian Travel Agents

My experience at a well know...world wide...travel agency last week.

Visit One:
  • I am shown to the agents desk by the armed guard. There are two agents side by side. One is busy. Both agents speak fluent English.
  • I inquire about flights/times/costs.
  • The agent answers them by typing stuff into the computer and getting schedules/costs.
  • I ask several times if there are any additional costs....'No, not when I book online' is her response.
  • I also inquire about using my credit card. She advises that no additional costs as this was being booked by them on-line. I even asked her several times to confirm this.
  • I decide on the date/time of the flight I want.
  • The agent then tells me that I need a paper ticket and that the agent next to her would be the only one that can issue this type of ticket.
  • No problem is my response. I'd only been there for about 30 minutes by then.
  • I now wait another 30 minutes for the other agent to come available.
  • During my wait time I ask the agent what rate she used for the Canadian $. Of course she made a mistake.....I had to correct both her and the currency exchange teller by explaining over and over what buy and sell mean. They both spoke fluent English.
  • Once in front of the agent I waited for... I tell her what I need.
  • Of course the price had changed by 'just 100 rupees more'.
  • No problem I say.
  • I take out my credit card.
  • The agent then tells me....'There will be a 1.3% additional charge for using your credit card'.
  • I immediately point to the agent next to her and YELL that I had verified that there would be NO additional costs.
  • The agent tells me- 'Yes, but only if I were to issue the ticket online- on this computer. You are now at the next computer and will be getting a paper ticket. There will be a charge.'
  • I grab my stuff and leave.

Visit Two:
  • I am shown to the couch as I need to wait for the agent with the computer that issues these paper air line tickets.
  • The other agent is just sitting there staring at me.
  • I wait and wait and wait. A good 30 minutes.
  • I am then asked to go sit in front of this agent.
  • The agent makes a few phone calls for my ticket.
  • She only uses the computer to misquote me a few prices.
  • The agent then tells me to wait 10 minutes as the ticket was being issued by another office and would be delivered.
  • I wait and wait and wait. A good 45 minutes.
  • During my wait time, the armed guard dropped his big rifle on the ground. Everyone just laughed. I almost had a heart attack. The gun was taller than you was. I'm sure he has no idea how to use it.
  • I pay cash for the ticket. At a lesser cost of 1,500 rupees due to me sticking firm with my questions/details of pricing.
  • I get the ticket and leave after being in the office for almost 1.5 hrs.
This transaction would of taken Heather...my good friend and travel agent....less than 5 minutes to issue.

This is India my friends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home