Lets focus on ME

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Kids and Me

I had heard about an organization that does work with street children here in Goa, so I went on a mission to find them when I got back from Mumbai.

Onthe Saturday while walking on the beach, I see all these kids playing with a ball in the water. They seemed to have supervision by a few guys in the same t-shirts. As I got closer, I noticed it was the organization I was going to look for.

I stopped to talk to Maurizio....a retired football coach......Italian....living in London.... who has been coming to India the last 9 years and volunteering for El Shaddai Street Child Rescue.

He tells me that I won't be able to help out as I need a police check, however, I could stop by the Calangute day care centre to play with the kids for an hour or two.

Great I'm thinking...something to do other than just go to the beach :)

I spent a good hour on Monday looking for this daycare. No luck. I sent an email and after I got the instructions, went there yesterday morning.

In the one hour I was there, I had one little girl try to put my hair into two pony tails...OUCH! A little boy grab my hand after he had wiped his nose and had snot all over his hands.....EEEWWW! And several kids jumping on me when I was sitting on the floor playing cars with them....OW!

Kids are crazy.

I left them with a donation...and I purchased a water tank (500 rupees) for their new Lighthouse project in Panjim.

http://www.childrescue.net/

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW hair into pony tails...hand full of snot..... And several kids jumping on you......and doing it all for free.......sign me up.......love ya.....your sarcastic brother

9:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd be throwing rupees at them as I ran screaming for the door...you're a better person than I am for staying so long!!!!! I can't handle dirty/snotty wee hands.....am I going to hell now?

xo mon

12:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's what teaching and being a parent is all about. Welcome to my world.

8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home